Do you LOVE Dogs?
Are you interested in a rewarding position making a difference in the lives of dogs AND making money? We need responsible, reliable, and compassionate people to care for our shelter dogs as they wait for their forever homes.
We currently have two positions available for Animal Care Specialists.
Animal Care Specialist 1 & Animal Care Specialist 2
Animal Care Specialists 1 & 2 will be responsible for maintaining a clean, safe, and sanitary facility for animals. The specialist must also provide humane handling, proper nutrition, exercise, and enrichment, and supervise the outside playgroups. Our staff is also required to greet volunteers and assist them when necessary. This is a part-time position (approximately 15-25 hours per week) with the potential to become permanent for the right candidate. If you have the availability, passion, and desire to make a difference in the lives of homeless dogs, apply to become a member of our team. BTW .... We love cover letters explaining your passion and experience with dogs (and other animals!)
- Provide care and handling of dogs that could have behavioral issues which may include shyness and fearfulness.
- Provide care for dogs that may have medical issues.
- Feed dogs according to department guidelines. Prepare food with accurate meal portions and follow special diets closely, and report observations.
- Clean and disinfect kennels, crates, beds, and food bowls.
- Wash, dry, and fold towels.
- Ensure all dogs have water at all times and buckets are sanitized.
- Medicate dogs and communicate medical issues to managers, fill out CGO's and ensure all dogs receive daily medications and treatments as prescribed.
- Identify behavioral issues and share observations with managers.
- Follow training plans for specific dogs designed by managers and trainers.
- Maintain records on the dogs.
- Socialize and provide enrichment for the dogs as outlined by the managers.
- Clean work areas and preserve the physical appearance of the building and grounds: scooping poop, sweeping, shoveling, dusting, mopping, trash removal, scrubbing.
- Responsible for the safety of volunteers: orienting them to assigned animal areas, assigning work, answering questions, and assisting with their needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Strong desire to work with dogs. Previous experience is a plus.
- Comfortable handling dogs with behavioral issues which may include shyness and fearfulness.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Willing and able to work on weekends, holidays, and varying shift times.
- Basic computer skills are necessary including checking e-mails, Google calendar, and Google documents.
- Demonstrates a friendly and open manner when dealing with the general public. Experience in interacting with the general public preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., the ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings, and perspectives of others.
- Strong and clear verbal and written communication skills. Excellent listening skills.
- Must be able to routinely lift 40 to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor.
- Must be able to work outdoors in ALL weather conditions.
- Must be able to work with physically strong dogs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and lift.
- Please note any potential employee may be subjected to a background check.
- $11-$14 per hour depending on experience
- Part-time, 15-30 hours per week
Email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: APPLICATION FOR ANIMAL CARE SPECIALIST POSITION